Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Mr. D'Arcy (not the Austen icon)

I work for Mr. D’Arcy (yes, pronounced like the Jane Austen dream boat). I actually don’t know a lot about him as far as his personal life goes. He is an older man who has had a lot of experience. And because of his experience he is very intelligent and sensible, and I would say one of the wisest business men I’ve known. One of the best qualities I’ve observed is his ability look at situations and come up with solutions that work in a win-win fashion. He has a quiet corky sense of humor. He is a bit old-fashioned and he's tries hard to adapt to the technology age and make friends with his computer. I silently laugh to myself when I go into his office and find him with his two fingers punching an email.  He works hard and diligently, and when he’s done he leaves work at work and doesn’t take it home with him. I’ve never met his wife, but I’ve talked to her on the phone and she sounds like a sweet heart.

He is from Chicago (I’m pretty sure.) And he isn’t a member of the church. I’m not sure what brought him to work in Utah 20 years ago. And I am not sure what exposure or experience he has had with the church beyond living here and working with members. His office is on the NW corner of the Zions Bank Building and his window faces straight towards the temple. Today I was in his office watching the rain (which is awesome) and I started wondering what an intelligent man like him would think about that stunning building across the street. Is he ever curious about what is inside? Or the significance? Has he ever asked? I know he has asked other questions, like about the leadership of the church. But that is all I’ve heard.

Maybe sometime the opportunity will come up to discuss more…

No comments: