Saturday, November 22, 2008

Go Hug an Accountant

I declare this day (and everyday) to be the official, national hug an accountant day. I feel this is important because many of us are unaware of what accountants go through. As many of you know I work for Zions Bank. And they offer many learning opportunities and courses in order to help you advance in your career. Many of my coworkers have encouraged me to take advantage of these opportunities. So I thought why not. I love learning. So I started taking the courses offered specifically for commercial lending, the first one being an accounting course. I have never taken any accounting classes in my life and this was a course that covers in three day what would normally take 2 weeks.

After the first day I was wondering who in their right mind would ever want to study this stuff let alone do it everyday for a living. After the second day I wanted to go hug my brother who is an accounting major. After seeing more of what accountants do I was really glad there are people out there who want to do it. And after the third day I realized that although I would almost rather eat dirt then do accounting I could actually do it. I am by no means an expert but it was starting to make sense to me and it was kinda fun WHEN everything balanced like it should. I, by no means, plan on returning to school to become a CPA. But I am very grateful for those accountants out there.

So all of you out there who know an accountant, GO GIVE THEM A HUG!!!

2 comments:

The Whitaker Family said...

Amen! I took one of those 3 month Accounting for Bankers ABA class and while I got it ok in the end, I'd much rather eat dirt too! I hear ya!

Course, then there's computer programming too......

caron said...

So I totally thought Courtney put the accountant feather in my turkey, but now there are 2 suspects...
Way to go out and try something new.