Monday, September 21, 2009

I've been turned around so many times I have no idea which way I am facing...

So this summer I was the worst at posting blogs. But that is not entirely my fault. There were a lot of turn arounds in my life this summer and every time I started a new post it was out of date and inaccurate before I got it posted. Here is one example below. I started this about a month ago and I believe it was the very next day that my life changed again and what I had written here became inaccurate. I do not have a good job. And I am not going to school in Salt Lake.  I am just going to post what I have below, even though I typed it a month ago. So as you are reading this put yourself in the past about a month. And I will have another update with what has gone on since then coming soon.

SUMMER 2009 FLYING BY

This last week I was walking around Temple Square and I saw leaves falling from the trees. And they have started to put lights up. NOOOOO! I'm not ready for summer to be over. Although this has been a full and a half summer.

IMG_2672First of all it was my 10 year high school reunion. Wow!! I can't believe 10 years have gone by. This is definitely on of those things that you don't think will actually happen and then all of sudden its here. Its been a full 10 years and a lot has happened. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it to the reunion because last minute I headed to Washington DC for a job interview for a position in the white house.

However, the very week before that (DC) happened I found out I was accepted to BYU EMPA program which I was pretty excited about. The day after BYU I this news, I was contacted by a department of the White House  Organization inquiring if I would be interested in being considered for a position that had just opened up...and could I come in for an interview. I had sent them a resume last year when I was looking for a job but nothing was available. I wasn’t looking for a new job but I told them “Sure.” (Why not, right?) I can handle a little get away trip. So I took a day off and went to DC and made a weekend trip out of it. I felt good about the interview. And they told me that they were WHOimpressed with and that I was definitely a strong candidate. But they also told me that the 4 other people they had interviewed were also very strong candidates. So I was flattered but not guaranteed anything. I had a fun little weekend in DC, too.

For awhile there I was feeling a little stuck in my life with an unsatisfying job and no alternative options. Now I had two possible outcomes. One, working in DC, which I would absolutely love. I’ve loved DC since I was a kid and went there to visit my grandparents. And Hello, the WHITE HOUSE. It would be an awesome experience. And on the other hand if that didn’t work out there was Grad school which would also be great. I felt like I was in a win-win situation. No matter what happened, things would be great. 

Well I didn't end up getting the position at the White House. I am really ok with that because I have a good job and I will be going to school in the EMPA program at Salt Lake.

Back to present day. So you see (BYU Salt Lake, White House, BYU Salt Lake, and now BYU Provo--Peru and another trip to DC in between--which I still need to post) This has been a very busy summer and my life has changed a lot many times. Every time I get settled on a plan it gets thrown out the window. Fortunately I am flexible and I am good at making whatever comes my way work. Who needs a plan anyway! School is going good and I am enjoying it. I still get a little nervous about not having an income and the financial cost this is going to be when I am done. But I keep reminding myself that it is an investment and will be worth it in the end.

~Cheers

1 comment:

The Whitaker Family said...

Wow, Sar! How COOL!!!!! You know I lived in DC for a while too, right? That would have been unspeakably cool-- course your life is so exciting, I guess it wouldn't be the coolest thing for you by far. Good experience and fun trip though, I'll bet. Good luck with Grad school and keep LIVING and I'll keep reading about it and wishing I could talk to you about it all.... Good blog posts, though!