Friday, March 28, 2008

ahh London. A few of my favorite things.

So when I wasn't skipping around singing "I'm in London. I'm in London," These are a few of the things that I did.
#1 Good old Big Ben. One of our first stops shortly after we arrived. After 10 hours on an airplane, a half hour train ride and a short ride on a double decker bus we got to heart of London. (By the end of this day I was going on 35 hours and no sleep.)


#2 Right around the corner we come to West Minister. Actually our first stop and also one of the last for me. Sunday night I attended an evening service. Interesting. There was a soprano soloist who's voice echoed through the whole cathedral. At the end of the service you get to exit through the big wooden front doors.



#3 Windsor Castle: the official residence of The Queen. Although she only goes there two times a year. Easter and some time in June. This wasn't on Lindsey list of things to see like it was on my so we decided in order for us to both see things that we wanted to see we would need to split up. I was just fine running around by myself. I decided it was easier because could go the speed I wanted and spend the time I wanted.

#4 Wicked (sigh). I finally got to see Wicked and I got to see it in London. How lucky am I?!? I thought it was fabulous.

#5 Can you guess where this is?... Here's another hint....
Plat form 9 3/4 at Kings Cross Station. In case you can't read it. I tried to jump through but it didn't work. I must be muggle.

#6 Hampton Court Palace. Home of Henry VIII. Lots of fun. A place where I could spend hours wandering and getting lost and enjoy every minute of it. Henry VIII was there and I would've asked for a picture but I like my head where it is and I didn't want to risk it.










The Gardens were a fair prospect and I could very well fancy myself there always. One section of the garden was completely daffodils. It was gorgeous.


#7 "Portobello road, Street where the riches of ages are stowed. Anything and everything a chap can unload, Is sold off the barrow in Portobello road.You’ll find what you want in the Portobello road." Within the most pleasant part of London. Notting Hill. You will find one of the best markets. Half of it is antiques. And you can literally find anything you want. And there there is food, jewelry and clothing. Why doesn't America have more markets?











#8 Tower of London is always worth a few hours of your trip. At least a few hours. There is so much history in this castle. And the crown jewels are always worth the wait in line.

#9 Imperial War Museum. I spent more time here then I planned on. Which meant I didn't get to some of the other museums that I wanted to. But it was worth the time. They had great displays about all the wars and other conflicts, starting with WW I. Including a nice Holocaust display. It was interesting to learn about the British view of the different wars.

#10 St. Paul's Cathedral. One of my all time favorite buildings. I could sit and look at it for hours and then go inside and look some more. It is amazing. I didn't make to the top or the whispering gallery. However on Easter I went to a Evensong. (Catholic Choirside) It was beautiful. My seat was in front right under the dome. And the music rang throught the whole building. It is always interesting to listen to sermons of other religions and participate in their services. After the service we got to exit through the big wooden doors. I was awestruck. I didn't get any Easter treats this year, but this whole trip was a treat.

3 comments:

randa_joy said...

Thanks for posting all the pictures. It was fun to see!

caron said...

Nice hat.

It looks like so much fun! I loved London for the 24 hours we saw it and I want to go back! Your blog is making it worse. I'm excited you got to go!

Susan said...

ohh, looks like you had a fun time. I am really really jealous. Your hat is cute!