Saturday, August 30, 2008

8/28/2008; 11:06 am

The time finally came. Grandpa did all he needed to. All of his kids got a chance to talk to him one last time. It was a neat experience being there all that time. There were some neat things that happened. Although Grandpa was in a coma and unresponsive, little things happened that told us he was there with us and he could hear the things we were saying to him. This past week was definitely a high spiritual week.

Thursday morning about 10:45, Bekah and I noticed another change in his breathing. We called my mom and told her she better come. About fifteen minutes later he started pausing for several seconds in between breaths. After a few minutes of this I knew the end was very close and I was worried my mom wasn't going to make it. A few seconds later she hurried in the door. She told him to go ahead and just go. I told him we loved him. Seconds later he was gone. It is a very real thing when a spirit leaves a body. All of a sudden it was just a body and not Grandpa. Although we couldn't see the spirit we saw the body as he left and there was a definite change. It was...wow. I was there for the births of my younger brother and sister and this is definitely up there with that on the list of the most spiritual things I have witnessed. We know that he was waiting for my mom to get there before he left also. The timing was so perfect.

Back to real life. We aren't too stressed. Most everything is ready for the funeral which will be Monday. I have been asked to give the life sketch as the oldest "ours" grandchild. Heaven help me get through it. I should be fine. This whole week has helped me prepare. I have actually cried most of my tears watching him suffer through Alzheimer's disease the past year. I am feeling more relief and happiness for him now.

1 comment:

The Whitaker Family said...

What a sweet picture of you and your Grandpa, Sar-- I've loved and lost a dear Grandpa too and despite the comfort that comes, I still miss him and love him so much. Love you!