Friday, August 1, 2008

MY IDOL

(I would have this posted sooner, but I kinda got caught up in a book=)
Let me tell you something that you might not know. I have an amazing sister. Actually I four amazing sisters and a spectacular sister-in-law. But I want to focus on one right now.

HANNAH JANE HINTZE

Let me tell you a story starting on Sunday, August 29, at 5 am. Actually the story probably begins back in January while we were absorbed in watching the Davids compete for the next American Idol. One evening watching it Hannah says, "I want to audition for American Idol someday." And I replied "Great. I will drive you." So we planned on it, looking forward to a road trip. Conviniently, because of gas prices, we discovered that the auditions were coming right here to Salt Lake City.


And that brings us 5 o'clock in the morning standing in line at the Energy Solutions Arena, with the rest of the idol hopefuls, waiting for our turn to register. By 8 am we had our wristbands on and the info we needed for the actual auditions on Tuesday. Since we were already in town and it was Sunday morning we decided to stay for Music and the Spoken Word with the Osmonds, which was a lot of fun. We got seats up on the 10th row. Nine rows behind the prophet.

Now that we had our wristbands all we could do now was wait for the next 48 hours to go by and then we would return once again to the Arena. And that brings us once again to Tuesday. Once again 5 o'clock in the morning waiting. This part of the story is absolutely ridiculous. There is no point in us being there at 5 am. They won't let us in until 8. The judges don't even show up until 9 or 10. And we have a ticket with an assigned seat. The only reason they want us there so early is so they can get their TV shot of the crowds lined up ready to be the next American Idol. So Hannah the "so eager to be on TV person" person that she is promptly steals the pillow I brought and lays down and falls asleep. While everyone around is pining for the camera to come around and interview them. As luck would have it the camera did find us. Fortunately Hannah had woken up by then, or else I would've had all the spotlight. Some guy from one of the other seasons started interviewing me. However since I wasn't the one auditioning I turned the spotlight over to Hannah.
They finally let us in at 8ish. As everyone was finding their seats in the Delta Cen..., I mean the energy solutions arena (dumb), they were working on group numbers. I have no idea what for, but it was fun to sing with everyone. They also shot a bunch of crowd cheering shots and then Ryan Secrest came in to shoot some shots with the crowds. He was fun to watch. He is very personable and good with the crowd. He know what makes a good shot.

Then it came time to line up. Down on the main floor they set up the judging booths. They took one section at a time and lined them up by fours. By fours they went and stood in front of a judge (these judges were the producers.) and they each got a few seconds to step up and sing and convince the judge that they were the next American Idol. After singing the judges either let you through or not. These judges were pretty harsh. I saw then turn down so many people with talent and very few people got through in the time we were there. Fortunately we were in the third section. So Hannah didn't have to wait all day for her turn. She was ready for this. She looked good and she was prepared. And was incredibly calm. I was probably more nervous and anxious then she was. I watched her line up and head down as confident as ever and then I watched her in front of the judge. (from a distance) Unfortunately this judge did not know a good thing when he saw it. Even right in front of his nose. All well. Hannah got to check one more thing off of her life goals. She is amazing and she will always be my IDOL!!!

1 comment:

randa_joy said...

As I started reading your post honestly my first thought was "great if Sarah's sister made it I'm going to have to watch it again next year." So there's one good thing about her not making it. I'm proud of her though. Brave.