Monday, August 25, 2008

Bear Lake and Alta Ridge


This past weekend we had a super summer activity for the singles ward at Bear Lake. And it was excellent. We rented a SWEET lodge in Laketown and we had boats and sea doos. I am huge fan of Bear Lake. The water is so beautiful and fresh. The lodge we rented was the best. It had six suites. A big game room in the basement with a theater and a huge living area for socializing and eating. The whole activity was a huge success. Everyone had fun and no one got hurt. I can end my summer satisfied because I can still get up on ski no problem.
Caron, my sisters and I went up the night before to check things out and have a bit of fun before the rest of the party got up there. We used our usual sleeping arrangements. Anywhere we could find off the road. And we had great time sleeping underneath the stars.
Before coming home from the activity we got word from my mom that my grandpa, who has been battling Alzheimer's disease for the last few years, got some fluid into his lungs and went into a non-response state with up to 72 hours to live. And since his wishes are "DNR" (do not resuscitate) there was nothing we could do but let him go.
After we got home, we met as a family where he was and my dad and brother gave him a blessing letting him know it was OK to go. It was hard to hear but we all knew that it was right. He has been living in a personal hell. And it was hard for us to watch him go through it.
Its been two days and I am still here with him waiting for him to go. My mom, sisters, aunt and I stayed with him all Saturday night. Not the most pleasant night of my life. He lived through it but we could hear the suffering in his breathing and moans. On Sunday they gave him morphine and he slept. Its now Monday morning and I am still here listening to his breathing waiting for the last one to come. His heart is not ready to quit. His mind was suffering but his body was still very healthy. That is why this whole incident was a surprise. We were told that he could live for years. But we've been praying for something to happen so he wouldn't have to suffer anymore.
The whole experience has caused me to reflect on a lot of things. Death (naturally) and what comes after, what might be happening now on the other side of the veil, those that could be present in this room supporting him from the other side of the veil, what is his spirit going through now. My uncle made interesting statement. Just like we go through labor to get into this life, we go through labor to get out. I've certainly watched him labor and wondered, and prayed for it to end. His heart is going to beat all it can.

No comments: