Monday, June 28, 2010

week 6: road trip with #6 and #7

This week is road trip week with a few of my #1s. Actually, they are #6 and #7. But they will always be #1 in my book. We are on our way to Nauvoo, IL for a family reunion. Along the way we we are hitting a few CH sites.  I was the only one of the older bunch who was able to get time off to go on this family vac. The last time we did a trip in this direction (East) I was fourteen and #6 and #7 had not made their entrance into the world yet. Part of the appeal of the trip for me was to be there when they felt humidity for the first time, and watch fire flies dance on the grass, see the flat vastness of Nebraska and the beautiful green hills of Missouri, and cross the broad Mississippi.

We’ve been on the road four days and we have seen:

Wyoming plateaus, a lot of flat but beautiful Nebraska and beautiful rolling green hills of Missouri. (I became a big fan of Missouri this trip. Hot and humid, but charming. When I was little all I remembered were hot and mosquitoes. But now I see how beautiful it is and I like humidity.) We went to Independence and saw the temple lot, the visit center, talked to an apostle from the Church of Christ, and we toured the Community of Christ Temple of Peace. We visited Liberty Jail, Far West and Adam-ondi-ahman. We went to church in Chillicothe. (Charming) We stopped in Marceline, home town of Walt Disney. We ate a super yummy diner at a charming diner in Hannibal. We crossed the Mississippi. And we attended the commemoration of the martyrdom of Joseph Smith at Carthage Jail.  

Details to come…stay tuned.

No comments: