Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Last night in Xiamen

The bags are packed, unfortunately. Tonight is my last night on my hard bed that I really have become accustomed to. Yesterday we came full circle and ate our last meal in the cafeteria. I order the same thing I ordered the first day, fried dumplings with egg and fresh mango juice. This time with no help from the Asian students. Last night we played games and laughed. Today, we had lunch with the dean. This was the first time meeting any administration. He served us a bunch of Xiamen specialties. His personal favorite, jellied sea worm. And it was exactly as it says. A clear jello substance with a smashed sea worm inside. Fortunately, it didn't have any flavor. But the texture....yes, gag. I tried to swallow it whole, but somehow only the jelly went down leaving the mangled worm in my mouth, requiring a second attempt at a dignified swallow.

This afternoon we rented two and three person bikes and rode along the beach with our Asian friends. Yes, it was like a dream except the bikes weren't exactly built for taller Americans, but we got along just fine. Then they took us to a Chinese BBQ. This was super good and made up for the awkward lunch.

Then it came time to say good-bye. I really don't like this part. It hasn't actually hit me that we are leaving and that the chances of ever seeing these dear friends again are slim. Thank goodness for technology that makes the chances of keeping in touch better.

No comments: