Tuesday, March 23, 2010

march 19th passed me by

So I just realized that March 19th came and went and I didn’t even acknowledge it. Why is this an important day you may ask. March 19th was the day, a number of years ago, I was on my way to Brazil to begin an adventure of a lifetime. It was in Brazil:  I fell in love with South America for the first time. I learned that a home is not complete without a blender and a compression pan. I learned the proper way to prepare rice and beans. I discovered maracuja and several different kinds of bananas and mangos. I fell in love with Brazilian food and have never completely been satisfied with American cooking since. (aka. processed foods) I learned that art of clapping at the gate. I discovered the value of stamps and envelopes. I learned to converse in Portuguese. I learned that the spirit can be present and family can be happy even if the home is made of rough boards and a dirt floor. I learned what it meant to labor with all my heart, mind, soul. I learned what it meant to suffer. I learned to keep going on when everything seemed to be going against us. I learned to work HARD and pray even harder. I learned to follow the spirit. I learned to love, love, love.

Everything I experienced and learned there has prepared me for today and for what the future may bring. (Family, trials, life…you name it, I can handle it. Even grad school.) I guess its because it was in Brazil where I really learned and experienced where my strength truly lies.

So often I get to thinking about everything I loved about Brazil and serving as a missionary and it makes me want to go back to those days.  Here are a few of the many memories.Zona EmbuRumo Juquitiba1 Sisters can be inventive. Don’t judge us, it was cold and there is no heating in the houses. Loved it!Fogo My favorite P-day retreat. Cachoeira do Franca.cachoreira do franca cachoreira do franca2cachoreira do franca3 Surprise birthday party the Juquitiba Branch threw for me. Juquitiba. My home away from home. And my heart is still there. Meu Anivesario Sisters Conferencesisters confsisters conf4

4 comments:

Cori Hintze said...

Jacob says the same thing about "American" food. :)

Rachel B said...

Oh! Everything you said in this post I second! I second! I miss the food. Just this week I went to the store and bought beans and rice. How I miss it. How it's changed me. I think you and me have a lot in common. I have been thinking about the mission reunion and I wish I could be there, but I won't. I will be in Utah for my best friend's wedding April 29-May 2nd, so I would love to see you around that time! Ps, remember that time we went latin dancing at byu-i? Good times. :)

claireb said...

Nossa... Que saudades! Thanks for making my yearning desire to go back even stronger. Man, I miss those days. Remember when our house flooded? What a crazy afternoon! I can't remember, was your journal salvageable? At least enough so that you're able to read it now?

Jaclyn said...

I love how you write and the title of your blog. Can't wait to read more about your adventures!