Thursday, April 28, 2011

chopsticks

I have seven weeks to master the art of chopsticks. My goal is to figure it out and eat an entire meal, 3 courses, using just chopsticks before I go to China. I am determined to do it. For years, I’ve been trying, failing, and resigning myself to using a fork when my hand cramps up and nothing gets to my mouth.

Tonight, at dinner at  Four Seasons Hot Pot and Dumplings, Joanna tried to help me but it was a hopeless cause.

How to eat with chopsticks

  1. Pick up the first chopstick with the middle finger and thumb.
  2. Grip the second chopstick with your index finger.
  3. Hold it steady.
  4. Practice opening and closing the chopsticks.
  5. Pick up food at a good angle (try roughly 45 degrees from the plate); slightly lift it up.
IMG_20110428_193737IMG_20110428_193741

6. Keep your face close to your plate and get as many noodles to your mouth as you can.

IMG_20110428_193753

Ok, so good news is I still have seven weeks to practice.

The food was excellent at Four Seasons, and the experience is fun. Each table has a pot warmer with a pot of broth. You pick out what meats, vegetables, and noodles you want (all you can eat.) and then you cook it right at your table. You will especially love it if you like seafood and can handle spicy. Although they do have less spicy sauces.

IMAG0096IMAG0093IMAG0092

A few other to dos:

  • Learn how to say “Donde esta el bano?” in Chinese
  • Get a typhoid shot. (Unfortunately, my previous one has expired.)
  • Eat a whole meal with chopsticks
  • Read up on the places we are going
  • Pack

晚安 (Wǎnān aka good night)

1 comment:

Katie said...

To teach the kids in Japan we would make a trainer chopstick of sorts. Take your chopsticks and put a folded napkin between them and then rubber band them together. then you get the idea of pinching them and working on it that way. I always did good at the beginning of a meal, but by the end would start to drop things. The kids were and still are pretty good.