Wednesday, April 20, 2011

stylin’

Not too long ago my friend, Rosy (former mission companion), graduated from a university in Brasil. Amazing accomplishment. As I was looking through the pictures from her graduation ceremony, I noticed their interesting academic ceremony outfits and caps.

Yesterday, I picked the cap and gown for my own graduation ceremony and I thought, “Ours are even more peculiar.” Why do we where such stylin’ getup to celebrate such a great accomplishment? Let me tell you.

Apparently, the tradition of academic dress and graduation dates back to the 12th century at the formation of early Universities in Europe . The role of these early Universities was to authenticate degrees. Universities documented which scholars had enrolled, or matriculated, for study under licensed masters and established standards to mark the various levels of a student’s progress (graduation) toward the next degree. Universities lacked buildings of their own when they were first established and thus studies were conducted at nearby churches. Historians believe that academic dress originated when scholars, who were largely clerics or aspiring clerics in the church themselves, wore long robes and hoods to keep warm in these unheated buildings. The practice of wearing gowns became more widespread when gowns were established as the official dress of academics in 1321 and “excess in apparel” was frowned upon. Variations on the long gowns, hoods worn for warmth were later used by Universities to differentiate and recognize the various grades of scholars.

Tomorrow, I will be sporting my fancy cap, gown and hood and participating in the academic processional. Really, it’s my most favorite part of the whole ceremony.

I kind of like the Brazilian Academic Clothing. She makes it look good.

Picture1

Rosy Farias. We had good times together.

cachoreira do franca

 Fogo

o templo2

No comments: