Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013 Game Plan

I love the beginning of the New Year. I love the excitement and wonderment of all the things that could change and happen this year. In spite of what did or didn’t happen the pass year. It’s something I love every year, but I seem to be more aware of it this year. It is also fun to set new goals and checklists of all the things I want to accomplish this year. And I do love my checklists.

2013’s resolutions have been inspired by this article in the Happy Living section (a favorite viral read) of ksl.com. I have adopted the five resolutions mentioned and added a few of my own. I have also added action items that I want to complete. Not all of them are mentioned here. (I might change my mind. I reserve the right to do that.)

From Five New Year’s Resolutions you’ll want to keep

Number 1: Read. Always a good idea. I like 30 books in a year. It was a good number for me. Challenging, not overwhelming. But since it is 2013 I will set the goal at 31 books. 13 of which will be nonfiction. 

Number 2: Write. I always want to  improve my writing and write more. Conveniently, I just filled a journal and have a new one with crisp white pages ready for 2013. Maybe I’ll have a goal of filling one entire journal in 2013. That didn’t sound very resolute. The only other time I filled a journal in one year was on my mission….Ok I’m determined I will do this one.

Number  3: Laugh. Always a good idea. I am going to continue thinking about this one and what I can do with it.

Number 4: Travel. No duh, this is going to be included. I don’t know how, where, or when. But I accept the challenge of finding 13 new places to travel to with my limited funds.

Bonus goal: Travel the state and visit all national and state parks this year.

Number 5: Love. Every year I have a goal of sending birthday and thank you cards in the mail. So this year I going to fit this in here. As well as service.

My own additions:

Number 6: Learn. Learn something new each day record it. Read at least 4 books specifically about different things I want to learn.

Number 7: Create. I am still thinking about how to quantify this. I just know I need to have it for my sanity sake. Maybe I’ll finish some projects.

Number 8: Cook. 13 new recipes. I know easy peasy. But I needed to have one easily attainable goal. My challenge will be to give baking a try. I am not a fan of baking unless it smells like meat or cookies. Breads and cakes, ugh.

Number 9: Get my body back. I usually don’t have many goals that are associated with the words exercise and diet. But I am tired of feeling limited because my back is in pain. So I am determined to do what it takes, within my financial restraints, to get over it. I am working on a action plan and my goal is to get back to running and run a half marathon this year. 13.1 miles for 2013. Sounds appropriate. Heaven help me.

Number 10: Get out of Debt. This will be a goal until it happens. Of course I have other goals to accomplish to make this one happen.

Number 11: Do something crazy. Still thinking about what this could be. If you have an idea send it my way.

Number 12: 13 new experiences. I’ll let you know when I have them.

Number 13: Progress. My life goal is to continually progress. Progress spiritually, intellectually, socially, physically. etc.

I think I am going to like 2013. Maybe it will even be a lucky year for me with lots of things happening and going my way. Who knows. We’ll see. Either way I’ll make it fun. 

1 comment:

Amy said...

I like it. I just blogged about my New Year's resolutions. They aren't nearly as exciting as these. I look forward to hearing about how it goes.