Monday, January 7, 2013

Butter Chicken

So I decided to try my hand at Indian food. Something I have been wanting to do for a while but there often many spices that don’t usually exist in the everyday spice cabinet. However, I did find one recipe that I had all the ingredients except one. Butter chicken. The meal pick for the individual who is adventurous enough to try Indian food but doesn’t like too spicy. I have never actually tried this at a restaurant except for a bite of my dad’s when I dragged him to an Indian restaurant for my birthday (If it weren’t for me he wouldn’t naturally be this adventurous.) So I don’t really know how it compares to one you may order, but the fam liked it. I had to fight my 13 yo sister for the left-overs.

Ingredients

  • 1 ounce butter
  • 1 onions, chopped
  • 1 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 2 large boneless chicken breasts
  • 1 teaspoon ginger
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric (didn’t double)
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup fresh cream
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 1/2 teaspoon garam masala (This is the one spice we didn’t have. And I had a little trouble finding it. Fortunately I had a neighbor with some and now I know where to find it. I would recommend getting it if you want to experiment with Indian. Watkins was the brand my neighbor had.)

Directions

  1. Sauté onion and garlic in butter.
  2. Slice chicken breasts into bite sized pieces.
  3. Combine spices and salt and toss chicken pieces until well coated.
  4. Sauté the chicken each side until golden brown.
  5. Stir in the cream and tomato paste.
  6. Cover pan and simmer for about 10 minutes until cooked through.
  7. Sprinkle with garam masala.
  8. Serve over rice. Good with a fresh salad and naan.

No comments: