Monday, August 23, 2010

hinnn-seee?

The other day I was going through my usual introduce-myself- and-teach-them-how-correctly-pronounce-my-last-name routine when making a new acquaintance. And btw I've heard every pronounciation of Hintze under the sun.

"I'm Sarah Hintze." (hin-see)
"Hinnn-ssseeee?"
"Yes."
"How do you spell that?"
"h-i-n-t-z-e."
"t-z-e?"
"Yes."
"Hintz?" (hin-tss)

"No. Hin-see"
"Hinnn-seee."
"Yes."
And then he said "Wow. No wonder you want to get married."
"What?" --Ok, I really didn't say that--out loud.

"Actually, I really like my last name." What I really said.
"You do?"
"Yup. By the time peopl
e get it right they don't forget it."

And it's true. After fourth or fifth repetition people don't forget it or me. I know
if a person has ever met a Hintze when they pronounce it right the first time and I don't need to repeat it four times. It's not rare for me to hear from others,"I met a Hintze 40 years ago." or "Are you related to (so and so) Hintze?" Chances are, we are related. Uncommon name, but big family. These comments are usually followed by, "He (or she) is a great person." I love that. I am lucky to come from such a great family many of whom are not forgotten because the different last name and the lives that they live. I have even been told by a complete stranger, "You have quite the name to live up to young lady." Amen brother.

Little Mr. and I were saying "cheese" for the camera.

He and I went on a date Friday night. We played at the park and we went to an outdoor movie, How to train your dragon. Both of us loved it. Gracie came, too. But she slept the whole time. That's ok though. I was happy just to hold her the whole time and I didn't have to share her with any of the other aunts.
We had a great time.

No comments: