Tuesday, August 3, 2010

*thai curry chicken*

I’ve been craving thai food since last week (ok, I usually crave Thai food) and I’ve been in the mood to cook as well. (One of my summer bucket list items) However, with the exception of tacos, ethnic food can be intimidating.
Good news. I found a recipe for a Thai dish that was cake. (Not literally)and all the ingredients were very accessible. Let me share this deliciousness with you.

Ingredients

  • 1 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk,* whisked to blend
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons Thai curry paste* (I found a packet @ Macey’s)
  • 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/3-inch-wide strips
  • 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 pound chicken tenders, cut crosswise in half
  • 1 tablespoon (packed) brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon fish sauce (nam pla)* (I had this, but I think you can get it at Macey’s)
  • 1 cup chopped seeded tomatoes
  • 1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon cilantro (my tweek)

Preparation

Bring 1/4 cup coconut milk and curry paste to boil in large skillet over medium-high heat, whisking constantly. Add bell pepper and onion; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in chicken, remaining coconut milk, sugar and fish sauce. Cook until chicken is cooked through, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Stir in remaining 3 ingredients and simmer 1 minute.
Serve with rice and plain yogurt, if needed. (Neutralizes spicy curry.)
*Available at Asian markets and some supermarkets nationwide.
(Found at:  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Thai-Chicken-Curry-103786#ixzz0vbXJZjeI)
One of the beauties of Thai food is that not only is it delicious, but it is healthy, too. Enjoy!

No comments: