Sunday, January 30, 2011

ham and bean soup

P1000547
Week 4's recipe I did without a recipe. I made my mom's ham and bean soup all by myself...and I only called her twice to make sure I was doing it right.
Ingredients:
  • Left over ham bone with some meat still on it.
  • 4-6 cans of various beans drained. (Depends on much you want to make. I used 2 black, 2 pinto, 1 kidney and I have left overs for a few days. If we had white beans or garbanzo beans handy I would've used that, too.)
  • 1-2 can tomatoes
  • Sliced or diced carrot (My mom mentioned this one a little too late.)
  • Onion
  • Garlic
  • Salt and Pepper and other seasons to taste. (I threw in a bay leaf.)
  • 1 spoonful brown sugar (optional but I did it)
Directions:
Simmer ham bone for a few hours.
Pull out the ham bone
Add the beans to the broth with onion and garlic and other seasons.
Pull meat off ham bone and add it to the beans.
Simmer and season to taste.

2 comments:

Gemma said...

mmm a hearty soup is just what we need for this winter!
:)

Gemma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.