Wednesday, January 19, 2011

where I wouldn’t go

A few weeks ago I was on a blind date (but that is not the point of this story.) And we were talking about places we’ve been and things we’ve done (usual first date conversation) and that usually leads to top places we would like to go.  (Thailand, Greece, New Zealand) Then he asked me to name five places I would never want to go. Well, I had to think about that one. I’d never been asked that. Nothing came to mind. He changed  the question to last places I would go. I still couldn’t think of anything. I honestly would go anywhere if the opportunity presented itself. Even the Middle East. (If I was guaranteed safety.) Even the dirtiest part of Africa. I would go for the opportunity to see that part of the world. To see the people. To taste the food. To experience the culture.

I do have the few places that are at the top of my list. But I’ve gone to other places that are not at the top of my list. (Peru, and soon China) If the opportunity comes I take it.  I like to try new things, and who knows I may end loving it. (I’ll probably end up loving it.) I would hate to miss out on what could be something really great because I didn’t give it a try. I wasn’t interested in South America until I was sent there a for a year and a half. Now it is one of my favorites places.

Wouldn’t it be sad to miss out on something that could be wonderful and possibly your favorite just because you didn’t give it a chance. It’s better to give things a try in all avenues of life. Travel, food, hobbies, dating...

One of my favorite mommy lines I heard my cousin Erin say to her daughter Lusci when she was protesting eating something. She said, "Try it. You might like it this time." Now to a child, and maybe some adults I know, that might seem like foolishness and a poor excuse for eating something green with funny texture. But others may see the value in it. Giving things another try, even when they haven't been your most favorite in the past, you may discover a whole new world of likes. I discovered one day that I really do like asparagus and shrimp after years of loathing and gagging at the thought of them. Clam chowder...I still can't get past the texture of clams, although I do like the potatoes in it. Maybe one day I'll like mini golf. It could happen. I'll keep giving it a try. I would rather like more things than not.

5 comments:

caron said...

I have an answer: Las Vegas. I have zero interest.
I agree. I hated meatloaf for years and finally tried it again. And now I love it! I keep trying to love lima beans and I'm still not there.

Unrelated, I like your reaction poll. I may need to talk to you about getting it on my blog. :)

sarah h. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sarah h. said...

Hmmm Vegas. Yeah I would never volunteer and I would probably whine along the way.

Katie said...

I like your attitude that is how I felt about Japan, not that I didn't want to go there necessarily, but not really interested. Know it is one of my favorite places. What about Spain are you above visiting there, because I am recruiting visitors.

sarah h. said...

Spain is definitely an option!!